||40min Webinar||1-2 Hours|
Take a tour of the Pembroke Passive Solar home and learn how the owner achieved GreenStar Gold Certification and the Zero Energy Ready Badge
It's not often that someone makes their vacation home a place to advance social justice AND Green Building, but Neil Peck does just that! He invites you in to take a tour of the Pembroke Passive Solar home, a beautiful new build located 75 miles south of Chicago nestled in a Black Oak Savanna. Neil describes how he achieved GreenStar Gold Certification and the Zero Energy Ready Badge.
Using solar PV, solar thermal, all electric HVAC, better walls, proper window orientation, and passive ventilation, Neil showcases his last year's energy usage and teaches us how he got there and reflects on what could be done differently.
On top of that, Neil demonstrates how a home can have a positive impact on a local community through a sense of place.
Neil Peck, S.N. Peck Builder, Founder and Windy City Habitat for Humanity, Board President
Neil Peck has been building and renovating homes for more than 40 years. He began S. N. Peck Builder, Inc. in 1982 and has completed more than 1000 architect–designed custom projects in the Chicago area.
Prior to moving to Chicago and opening his own business, Neil worked in southwest Michigan with his father building and remodeling homes. His commitment to green and sustainable construction methods originated in the 1970′s when he and his dad built solar-heated and passive-design homes.
He is currently the President of the Board of Windy City Habitat for Humanity and is a LEED AP, with an advanced knowledge of green building techniques. He has a B.A. in history from Indiana University and has traveled extensively.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Explain concepts and strategies to meet LEED BD+C V4 EA Credit Building Orientation for Passive Solar
- Describe the benefits of preserving the landscape and rainwater catchment as it relates to LEED BD+C V4 WE Outdoor Water Use
- Explain whole-house balanced ventilation and connection to LEED BD+C V4 EQ Credit Enhanced ventilation
- Describe GreenStar and Zero Energy Ready certification requirements and benefits.
Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) .5 hours in:
- Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI) GBCI / LEED APH
- Building Performance Institute (BPI) Non Whole House
- Certified Green Professional (NARI & CGP)
- Certified GreenHome Professional (CGHP)
- American Institute of Building Design (AIBD)
- State Architect / Builder License may be applicable
Earn CEUs 1 hour in:
- American Institute of Architects - AIA (HSW) (1 hour)